Retainer Relationship Fees
Retainer Relationship Fees are typically based on the size of your total securities accounts. These retainers are for Fee-Only Financial Planning services, not investment management alone. Investment management is only one element in complex financial planning relationships. It is very difficult to judge the value of investment management services versus all other financial planning services. The size of our clients’ investment portfolios is generally an appropriate indicator for the complexity of our services. And, we are rarely interested in managing investments unless investment management is in the context of financial planning services.
Resource Advisory Services’ all inclusive annual retainer rate is 1.00%, which is calculated and billed quarterly, in advance. When we must estimate the relative weight of financial planning and investment management, we arbitrarily assume 0.50% is the fee for financial planning and 0.50% is the fee for investment management. Positive investment performance and/or client additions to portfolios increase the total retainer. Poor market conditions and/or withdrawals reduce portfolio size and the retainer.
In order to serve clients who have not yet built investment wealth sufficient for the calculated retainers to support our work, we use the following guidelines for minimum fees, which are considered entirely for financial planning, with virtually none attributable to investment management.
- $1,000 per quarter for clients with annual family income below $150,000 and net worth below $1 million.
- $1,250 per quarter for clients with annual family income from $150,000 to $200,000 or net worth between $1 and $1.25 million.
- $1,500 per quarter for clients with annual family income between $200,000 and $300,000 or net worth between $1.25 and $2.5 million.
- $1,750 per quarter for clients with annual family income between $300,000 and $400,000 or net worth between $2.5 and $4 million.
- $2,000 per quarter for clients with annual income exceeding $400,000 or net worth exceeding $4 million.